Much of the TRG programme is conducted through PhD studentships and post-docs - based in Leeds, Hull, UCD (Ireland), Camerino (Italy), Milan (Italy) and Pavia (Italy) and supervised by combinations of Leeds-based staff and external co-workers. We aim to start at least one position per year.
- Damilola Adekanye (Leeds) - Massively Parallelized Models of Fluid-Solid Multiphase Flow.
- Laura Bührig (Leeds) - A database-informed approach to the construction of quantitative sedimentological facies and source-to-sink models.
- Sheng Chen (Leeds) - Delta to deep-sea sediment budgets.
- Megan Davies (Leeds) - Hybrid event beds in confined basins.
- Marijke de Vet (Hull) - Turbulent-laminar transitions in flows laden with cohesive sediment.
- Sojiro Fukuda (Hull) - Palaeo-Environment Reconstruction from Seafloor Landscapes.
- Daniele Invernizzi (Milano, Italy) - Facies architecture in channel-levee outcrops.
- Laura McDonald (Auckland, New Zealand) - Hikurangi margin Palaeoclimate from deep-sea cores.
- Justine Poppeschi (Kyoto University, Japan) - The impact of the tide on turbidity currents and their deposits.
- Michela Principi (Camerino, Italy) - Lobe complex architecture, Laga, Italy.
- Elena Scacchia (Parma, Italy) - Study of high-density turbidity currents and their products deposited in tectonically-confined settings.
- Anthony Shorrock (Auckland, New Zealand) - Unravelling the long-term interplay between climate, volcanic activity, and earthquakes.
- Fully TRG funded
- Part TRG and part industry-funded
- Fully industry funded
- Research council funded
- Self funded
- Scholarship funded - Leeds. The University has separate scholarship schemes for UK/EU students, and also "international" (non EU) students
- Scholarship funded - non Leeds.
Please check back regularly for new positions. Typically we start 1-2 new PhD and post-doc positions per year.
Unfunded PhD opportunities
If you have independent access to research funds, we can host you to do a PhD, M.Lit or MSc by research. You may have your own research project in mind. Alternatively, we can work with you to design a project, or can offer fully-framed projects. Examples of candidate projects are shown below (hover mouse over titles for description)
- Controls on hybrid event beds occurrence in deep marine settings: implications for facies and facies architecture prediction
- Scale constraints on the transport of cohesive sediments
- Database and outcrop-based evaluation of mass transport deposit occurrence
- Palaeo-seafloor reconstruction and environmental change
- Pinch-out stratigraphic traps: predicting unconventional trapping mechanisms
- Quantifying the anatomy of clastic deep-marine deposits